Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Our Journey to Greece

We left for Greece from Turkey Saturday night at 8:30. Didn't get to Greece till 11:30 the next morning. What was to be only a 10hr trip was extended to 15hrs. And here's how it happened.

So we got to the train station on time ready to board and continue out journey. But instead of the train we were put on a bus that took us on a 2hr trip to a different train station in the middle of nowhere. When we boarded the train Billy and I were assigned to two different sleeper cars. Which wouldn't have been bad if I wasn't bunked with a 40yr-old man from Bologna who had the worst body odor ever and packed everything he owned to bring on the train. So not only did he smell but there was nowhere for me to put my bag. He finally stowed his bags away and made room for me. Unfortunately nothing was done about the odor. So clothes pin and all I enter my sleeper car in hopes of sleeping most of the trip.

Before crossing the border to Greece we were stopped for a routine passport and baggage check. Billy and I got our stamps and no baggage check needed. It was easy as that. Unfortunately for my Bologna the same can't be said. They performed a thorough 30minute search through all of his bags to find that he had boxes filled of cologne in hopes of selling them back at his home. They eventually let him pack up his bags and continue into Greece.

Once we crossed the border to Greece however another passport and baggage check was needed. This time it wasn't as easy as before. Let's just say my bunkmate was forced from the train belongings and all. We sat for about an hour. With every passenger on board receiving a free show of the man arguing with customs. Pleading for them to let him through to Thessaloniki. But in the end he was locked in a train car on the tracks next to us never to be seen again.

From there it was smooth sailing to Thessaloniki, Greece where we have stayed for the past few nights. Stay tuned for some stories of our findings in Thessaloniki!
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments:

Post a Comment